Supreme Court of the United States (SCOTUS)
>>> Eight Decades of Precedent <<<
- President Obama should let his successor fill this vacancy on the Supreme Court.
- For 80 years, there has not been a nomination and confirmation in a presidential election year.
- The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice.
- This is not about the person, this is about the Court.
- As Democrats have already admitted, their breach of decades of precedent is all about scoring political points.
- But these are also the same Democrats who had no problem blocking President Bush's nominees late in his second term:
- Barack Obama was the first president to have filibustered a Supreme Court nominee (Alito, in 2006).
- Hillary Clinton was the first Secretary of State to have filibustered a Supreme Court nominee (Alito, in 2006).
- Chuck Schumer, the Senate Democrat leader-in-waiting, proposed blocking all of Bush's nominees in July 2007.